From Our Community to Your Table
Who: Carl Sandburg College Community Garden
Details: hard-backed, ring bound
Pages of recipes: 205
To purchase: Call 309-341-5328 or email firstname.lastname@example.org, for more info contact Mary Robson at email@example.com.
Stone’s Gourmet Roadkill Chili
- 1 sm. bottle Frank's Red Hot sauce
- 2 lb. stew meat
- 2 lb. Mexican chorizo or other spicy sausage
- 2 lg. onions chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 can lg. pitted black olives chopped
- 1 sm. can diced chilies drained
- 2 lg. cans whole peeled tomatoes undrained
- 1 sm. can diced tomatoes with chilies undrained
- 3 T. chili powder or to taste
- 1 T. Cayenne pepper or to taste
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 T. instant coffee
- Marinate the stew meat in Frank’s Red Hot sauce.
- Brown the chorizo and drain as much grease as possible. Put in large slow cooker.
- Drain marinated stew meat and brown along with onions, bell peppers and can of diced chilies.
- Add half of olives (can add more later if desired). Add chili powder, cayenne, coffee and any additional hot sauces. It is important to add the majority of spices here to avoid overpowering the stew.
- Put all in slow cooker and add beans.
- Cut the whole tomatoes into at least thirds and add to slow cooker along with juices.
- Add can of diced tomatoes, cumin and salt.
- Cook for 3-4 hours on low heat.
- Let stand refrigerated for 24 hours. Taste and adjust level of chili powder and spices if necessary.
- Cook for at least 3 hours before serving. Top with shredded cheese and diced green olives.
- Serve with peanut butter sandwiches, corn chips and/or oyster crackers.
- Makes around 1 gallon.