Submitted by Sherry Reuter, Egyptian Electric Cooperative Association
- 1 angel food cake
- 1 16 ounce container Cool Whip
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup sugar divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 3 ounce package strawberry jello
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 16 ounce bag frozen strawberries thawed
- Combine in medium saucepan 1/2 cup of sugar, cornstarch, jello, lemon juice, and water.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- Stir in sliced strawberries.
- Tear angel food cake into 1 inch pieces and toss with 2 cups of Cool Whip.
- Press into 9x13 pan. Set aside.
- Combine cream cheese, 1/2 cup of remaining sugar, and vanilla in mixing bowl. Beat until smooth.
- Poor cooled strawberry mixture over cream cheese layer, spreading to cover cake evenly.
- Refrigerate 2 to 3 hours.