Courtesy of: Prairie Flavors: Celebrating 65 Years of Oklahoma Cooking
- 2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup sliced stuffed olives
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1/2 green bell pepper diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup beef bouillon or consommé
- 1/2 can whole kernel corn drained
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Stir the cornmeal and 1/2 teaspoon salt into rapidly boiling water. Cook and stir until thick and remove from heat.
- In a heavy skillet, melt the margarine and brown the onion in it. Add the ground beef. Stir and cook until meat is no longer pink. Add tomato paste, olives, bell pepper, chili powder, bouillon or consommé, corn, cayenne pepper and remaining salt. Stir well. Taste to be sure there is enough salt.
- Line a shallow baking dish with part of the cornmeal mixture. Pour meat and vegetable mixture into dish. Drop remaining cornmeal mixture by spoonful on top of meat mixture; sprinkle cheese over top. Sprinkle liberally with paprika. Bake for 1 hour.
Nutrition information: 197 calories; 10g fat; 908mg sodium; 14.4g carbohydrates; 12.4g protein.