During these dog days of summer, I don’t feel like eating anything heavy. I crave fresh foods, and farmers’ markets are full of a rainbow of amazing fruits and vegetables that call out to me. Support your local farmers and enjoy a light meal by making salad your entrée. Just grab a fresh baguette from a local bakery and you have a fulfilling meal. Enjoy! ~ Valerie
Gourmet Tortellini Salad
Submitted by: LuAnn Schieferdecker, Corn Belt Energy Corporation
Servings 4 main course servings
- 8 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups leeks thinly sliced, include white and tender green parts
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2-4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice to taste
- 18 ounces fresh cheese tortellini cooked very al dente (can substitute dry tortellini)
- red pepper flakes to taste
- 2 – 3 large plum tomatoes chopped
- 5 ounces high quality feta cheese cut small
- Large bunch basil, about 20 leaves shredded
- 2 bags fresh spinach
- pepperoni or salami chopped optional
- Heat 4 tablespoons olive oil in deep skillet and saute leeks for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, lemon juice and tortellini. Cook until most of the liquid has been absorbed into the tortellini, about 3 minutes. Move the tortellini around in the pan as it cooks to prevent sticking. If using meat, add now.
- Add remaining olive oil (can add less if you prefer), red pepper flakes, tomatoes, feta and basil. Remove from heat. Cool and refrigerate.
- When ready to serve, plate the spinach and top with tortellini mix and a sprig of basil. Beautiful, delicious and super easy.
Nutrition information: 732 calories; 33.6g fat; 1077mg sodium; 84.7g carbohydrates; 26.1g protein.