During these dog days of summer, I don’t feel like eating anything heavy. I crave fresh foods, and farmers’ markets are full of a rainbow of amazing fruits and vegetables that call out to me. Support your local farmers and enjoy a light meal by making salad your entrée. Just grab a fresh baguette from a local bakery and you have a fulfilling meal. Enjoy! ~ Valerie
Italian Chopped Salad
Submitted by: Valerie Cheatham
- 2 cups ditalini pasta cooked and drained
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 1 head romaine lettuce chopped
- 4 ounces Provolone or Mozzarella diced small
- 4 ounces hard salami sliced into thin strips
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- Kalamata olives pitted
- Grape tomatoes halved
- Roasted red pepper strips
- 3/4 cup Italian dressing
- In small bowl, combine dressing and beans and let marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, place chopped romaine.
- Top with ditalini, cheese, salami, tomatoes, olives and pepper strips.
- Add beans with dressing and Parmesan cheese and lightly toss.
- Serve with slices of baguette.
Nutrition information: 578 calories; 18.8g fat; 4198mg sodium; 74g carbohydrates; 27.7g protein.