During these dog days of summer, I don’t feel like eating anything heavy. I crave fresh foods, and farmers’ markets are full of a rainbow of amazing fruits and vegetables that call out to me. Support your local farmers and enjoy a light meal by making salad your entrée. Just grab a fresh baguette from a local bakery and you have a fulfilling meal. Enjoy! ~ Valerie
- 1 pound Ground beef
- 1 package Taco seasoning (reserve 1 tablespoon)
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 8 ounces Cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can red beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 small onion diced
- Cilantro, torn optional
- Pickled jalapenos, sliced optional
- tortilla chips
- 1 small bottle Western dressing
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon reserved taco seasoning
- Brown ground beef and add taco seasoning and cook according to package directions, let cool.
- In a small bowl, mix dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Tear or cut up lettuce into bite-sized pieces and place in large bowl.
- Layer with beans, taco meat, tomatoes, onion, jalapenos and cheese.
- Toss salad with dressing and serve with tortilla chips.