Over the past several months, readers have submitted recipes that didn’t really fall into any upcoming category of recipes. We decided to make use of these recipes and hope you enjoy trying them.
Maple Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
Submitted by: Mary O’Rourke, Corn Belt Energy Corporation
- 5 cups fresh Brussels sprouts halved
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Water
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 pound Bacon
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds optional
- Mix Brussels sprouts, 1 teaspoon olive oil, water and salt in microwave-safe dish and microwave for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, fry bacon until crisp. Drain, crumble and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and brown onions for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and caraway seeds, if using, and cook 1 minute.
- Add balsamic vinegar to pan and deglaze any goodness stuck to pan.
- Add cooked Brussels sprouts and toss to coat.
- Drizzle with maple syrup, warming through.
- Garnish with bacon and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition information: 291 calories; 16.8g fat; 991mg sodium; 13.7g carbohydrates; 16.7g protein.