His Heavenly Table
Who: St. Paul’s Cathedral
Cost: $15 includes shipping
Details: Soft-backed, spiral bound
Pages of recipes: 227
Send checks to: St. Paul’s Cathedral, c/o Warren Swaar,
24833 State Hwy. 29, Greenview, IL 62642 or call 217-671-9063.
Mother’s Caramel Cake
- 2 c. sugar
- 1-1/2 c. milk scalded
- 3 c. cake flour
- 3/4 t. Salt
- 4 t. baking powder
- 3/4 c. shortening
- 4 eggs
CARAMEL BUTTER ICING
- 1 c. unsalted butter
- 2 c. dark brown sugar
- 1/4 c. whole milk
- 6-8 c. sifted powdered sugar
- 2 t. vanilla
- Caramelize 1 cup of sugar by stirring constantly in a heavy pan over low heat until liquefied and golden brown.
- Slowly stir in hot milk; cooking over low heat until smooth, stirring constantly.
- Measure mixture – should be 1-3/4 cups. Add more milk if necessary; cool thoroughly.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Cream shortening; gradually add remaining 1 cup sugar, and cream until light and fluffy.
- Add unbeaten eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with caramel milk, stirring only enough after each addition to blend thoroughly. Do not beat.
- Pour into two greased 9-inch or three 8-inch layer pans.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes. When done, cool completely.
- To make icing, melt butter in a large saucepan and add brown sugar.
- Bring mixture to a boil, stirring frequently, about 1 minute until thickened.
- Remove from heat and add milk. Beat with wire whisk until smooth.
- Add vanilla and beat again. Add enough powdered sugar until icing is pourable.
- Pour a third of icing over the first layer and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Place second layer on top and pour remaining frosting over and let sit until icing sets.
- (Divide icing in thirds if making three layers.)