Thomson Sesquicentennial Cookbook
Who: Thomson Sesquicentennial Committee
Cost: $20 includes shipping
Details: Soft-backed, spiral bound
Pages of recipes: 220
Send checks to: Thomson Chamber of Commerce,
Attn: Luanne Bruckner,
1110 Locust St., Thomson, IL 61285
or call 815-259-3168.
Potato Chowder with Green Chiles
- 1 lg. red bell pepper
- 4 lg. Poblano chile peppers
- 5 c. chicken broth
- 1 lg. potato peeled and cubed
- 1 lg. onion chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/4-1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 c. butter or margarine
- 1/3 c. flour
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 2 c. half & half
- 1 c. milk
- 1 c. 4 oz. shredded Cheddar cheese
- 6 bacon slices cooked and crumbled
- 1 bunch Green onions chopped
- Broil bell pepper and Poblano pepper on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet 5 inches from heat for 5 minutes on each side until peppers are blistered.
- Place peppers in a heavy duty Ziploc bag. Let stand 10 minutes to loosen skins.
- Peel peppers, remove and discard seeds. Coarsely chop peppers.
- Bring chopped roasted peppers, chicken broth, potato, onion, jalapeno pepper, salt and pepper to a boil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes or until potato is tender.
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat. Whisk in flour, 1 tsp. salt, dry mustard and 1/2 tsp. ground pepper until smooth.
- Cook 1 minute, whisking constantly. Gradually whisk in half and half. Stir flour mixture and milk into broth mixture. Cook over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Sprinkle each serving with cheese, bacon and green onion.