Prep: Chicken, Three Ways
Submitted by Julie Douglas, Shelby Electric Cooperative
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon garlic chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Begin prepping 24 hours in advance. Mix the first five ingredients in a large bowl. Add the chicken to the buttermilk mixture and massage the chicken with your hands. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- The next day, preheat the oven to 350 F. In a large iron or oven-safe skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Heat to just before it is smoking. Pull out thighs and shake off excess buttermilk. Place in skillet fat side up and sear the chicken, about 4 minutes on each side. Remove the skillet from the burner and place it in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 175 F.