A slice of heaven
Sometimes, you just need comfort food and for many that includes pizza. During this unsettled time, you may not be able to go to your local pizza place to enjoy your favorite pie. An alternative is to make it at home. This month, readers shared their favorite pizza and crust recipes, and we even have a dessert pizza to top it all off.
Slow-Cooked Cast Iron Pizza
- olive oil
- Extra-large flour tortilla
- Tomato or pizza sauce
- grated Parmesan cheese
- Sausage, pepperoni or your favorite meat
- mushrooms, onions, peppers, etc.
- cheese (anything that melts)
- Oregano, black pepper, cayenne, etc.
- Note from contributor: This is not fast food and is actually a casserole that mimics Chicago-style pan pizzas. It is a free-form pizza and you choose whatever toppings you prefer.
- Coat a cast iron skillet with olive oil.
- Liberally coat tortilla with olive oil and fit inside skillet.
- Top with your favorite pizza or tomato sauce and parmesan cheese.
- Meats, such as sausage, must be precooked. Add meat(s) and toppings of your choice.
- Pre-cooking vegetables, such as mushrooms or onions, will reduce the moisture and speed cooking.
- Add your choice of shredded cheese and top with seasonings. Drizzle liberally with olive oil.
- Bring very slowly to a low simmer. Take your time, too fast blackens the tortilla. It will simmer for 45 minutes or longer depending on the moisture content. It’s done when it mostly stops bubbling, remove from pan and it will cool quickly.