Oh me, oh my, it’s pie!
Ask 10 different people their favorite kind of pie, and you just may get 10 different answers. Whether you like the all-American apple, or prefer cherry, peach, chocolate or pecan, the list can go on and on. One thing is certain, those flaky crusts and fruit or cream fillings are a favorite of young and old alike.
Readers submitted a wide variety of recipes and you just may find a new favorite to add to your recipe box.
Southern Oatmeal Pie
Submitted by Jan Allen, Egyptian Electric Cooperative Association
- 2/3 cup butter or margarine melted
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup light Karo syrup
- 2/3 cup uncooked quick oats
- 2/3 cup shredded coconut
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Mix all ingredients and pour into unbaked pie shell.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until browned and set.
- Serve plain or with whipped cream.
Nutrition information per serving: 288 calories; 19.9g fat; 220mg sodium; 26.6g carbohydrates; 2.8g protein.