Oh me, oh my, it’s pie!
Ask 10 different people their favorite kind of pie, and you just may get 10 different answers. Whether you like the all-American apple, or prefer cherry, peach, chocolate or pecan, the list can go on and on. One thing is certain, those flaky crusts and fruit or cream fillings are a favorite of young and old alike.
Readers submitted a wide variety of recipes and you just may find a new favorite to add to your recipe box.
Sweet Potato Pie
Submitted by Christina Goolsby, SouthEastern Illinois Electric Cooperative
Servings 16 (Makes 2 pies)
- 2 cups sweet potatoes mashed (2-1/2 to 3 good sized potatoes, baked)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter melted
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 unbaked 9-inch pie shells
- Heat oven to 375 F.
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly and divide batter between 2 crusts.
- Bake for 1 hour or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
Nutritional information per serving: 300 calories; 15.7g fat; 216mg sodium; 36.9g carbohydrates; 4.3g protein.