Thoughts of red roses, cards filled with undying love, sparkling wine and large heart-shaped boxes full of chocolates – it must be time for Valentine’s Day! According to The Nielsen Company, more than 58 million pounds of chocolate candy will be sold during Valentine’s week. That’s a lot of chocolate!
It only made sense for Finest Cooking to feature chocolate in February. We won’t debate whether white chocolate truly is chocolate, we just know it’s delicious. Here at Illinois Country Living, we enjoyed sampling these sweet treats. There is something for everyone and we hope you enjoy them as much as we did.
Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Cookie Dough Buttercream
- 1-1/2 c. cake flour
- 1-1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 c. sugar
- 2-1/2 t. baking powder
- 1-1/2 t. Salt divided
- 1 c. butter cold cut into small cubes
- 3 sticks softened butter
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 c. + 2 T. milk divided
- 3 t. vanilla extract divided
- 6 oz. mini chocolate chips plus more for sprinkling
- 3/4 c. Brown sugar
- 3-1/2 c. powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line two muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together flours, sugar, baking powder and 1 t. salt.
- Add 1 c. cold butter, cut into small cubes, and mix until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine 1 1/2 c. milk and 2 t. vanilla in a measuring cup, and add about half of the milk mixture to the flour mixture. Beat until well blended and smooth.
- Add the other half of the milk mixture and beat until smooth. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill paper liners 2/3 full and bake 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for a few minutes and then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- For frosting: In a large bowl, combine the butter and brown sugar. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Add 1/2 t. salt, 2 T. milk and remaining vanilla and beat to combine.
- Add the powdered sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and sprinkle with mini chocolate chips.