Spiced Stuffed Peppers
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pound ground turkey or chicken
- 1 teaspoon Salt divided
- 1-1/4 cups quinoa
- 1-1/2 cups Water
- 6 large red yellow, orange or green bell peppers
- 3 ripe tomatoes cored and peeled
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 1- inch piece fresh ginger peeled
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions, coriander, cumin and pepper flakes, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions soften and the spices smell toasted, about 6 minutes.
- Add the ground meat and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and cook, breaking it up into clusters with a spoon, until done.
- Reduce heat to low and add quinoa and 1-1/2 cups water. Cover and simmer until quinoa plumps and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Cut off the tops of the peppers and use a teaspoon to remove the seeds and ribs. Take a very thin slice off the bottom of each pepper to stabilize them and arrange them in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Purée tomatoes, garlic, ginger and remaining salt in a blender until smooth. Stir into the ground meat mixture and pack into the peppers.
- Cover baking dish securely with aluminum foil and cook until the peppers are fork tender, 35 to 40 minutes. Serve warm.
Nutrition information: 332 calories; 12.9g fat; 479mg sodium; 31.8g carbohydrates; 26.8g protein.